Friday, February 12, 2016

Rearrange Record Sort Order

Sometimes, the sort order of table records cannot be easily determined by simply using the values in its fields. In those cases, it might be necessary to add a "sort order" field where the user will explicitly define the record's sort order within the table.


I've had a couple of requests in the forums for a demo on how to easily rearrange or reorder the records based on a "sort order" field value using a GUI. So, I have decided to create a demo based on a couple of methods I have seen while using SharePoint.


Method 1:
When creating or editing a Standard or Datasheet List View in SharePoint, you can set the order of the columns using a combobox. Selecting a number from the combobox sets that columns position in the View from left to right.


Method 2:
When you modify the Global or Quick Launch Navigation for a Site in SharePoint, you can select a Heading or a Link and then use the "Move Up" or "Move Down" links on the small menu bar to change the order of the Navigation Items.


My Demo:
Using the above methods as my inspiration, I created this demo for rearranging records sort order using a form. To download the demo from my website, click on the image below.



As always, any comment or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Original post date: March 22, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment